Cher Tour Illustrations



A few months ago I had the opportunity to create sketches for the one and only Cher! I collaborated with celebrity hair stylist Ricardo Rojas to sketch a handful of illustrations to be presented to Cher for her upcoming tour. Rojas, having worked closely with Cher for years had a clear-cut vision of not only the hair styles he wanted present, but the strong poses and attitude that the custom tour sketches should convey.
Rojas and I met at his beautiful Upper East Side salon (shown above,) knocked around concepts, reviewed inspiration photo's and tweaked sketches to settle on the final illustrations. In the past I've featured both Cher and Bob Mackie on Fabulous Doodles many times and its exciting to now share my own interpretation of the icon. (Albeit, I leaned a little towards the simpler side with costumes to keep the focus on hair but you know I adore a sequined-feathered Bob Mackie number!) Cher's D2K Tour is now well underway and after seeing photos friends posted from the Brooklyn show I'm proud to say Ricardo Rojas did an incredible job on Cher's tour "hair wardrobe" and hopefully my sketches contributed positively.

Related posts you may have missed:

Leave a Comment

Beth said...

What a dream! Cher was my very first fashion illustration inspiration - yes, I'm old enough to have regularly watched the Sonny & Cher Show and her wardrobe was the only reason I watched- sketchbook in hand the whole time :-)

Brooke Hagel said...

Beth, love that! Soaking up Cher inspiration with the sketchbook in hand. I missed the show, a little before my time, but about 10 or 12 years ago FIT had the most amazing exhibit of Bob Mackie's work and at least have the show was Cher costumes, sketches and tv clips. Its was absolutely incredible and I went back multiple times, also sketchbook in hand.

Brooke Hagel said...

Whoops, meant "half" the show.

Anonymous said...

Do you have any advice for capturing the essence of your subject when you create a stylized sketch? I'm trying to learn how to strike a balance between the two.

Brooke Hagel said...

@Anonymous, there are a few things I tend to do when trying to capture a person first being I look at multiple photos of them to see their posture and if they have a go-to pose. I also study the face for elements of what makes them unique, a larger mouth, or big almond eyes, or a long narrow face, etc. Hope this helps.

Anonymous said...

I hadn't thought of the posture or a go-to-pose. Thank you, Brooke!